Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wide Open Spaces

Have you ever wanted to lay down in a field and just surrender yourself to the grass and wind?

No? Maybe I'm the only one. Almost two years ago, as my friend and I were driving across country, I had this experience. We were in Minnesota, on some back roads, driving through the praire. Every now and then a grain elevator would show itself. No trees, no mountains. We ended up surrounded by praire at one point. The landscape was open and green; green and rolling. The wind was amazing. We learned later that they were having high cross winds in the northern plains. Whatever it was, it was a beautiful combination. So beautiful, breath-taking, and awe-inspiring that I had to stop the car. Literally, I pulled over and just sat. I had to feel it. We rolled down the windows. I got out. I had to feel it. What I really wanted to do was to run into the middle of the grass and lay down. However, I didn't think that whoever owned the land would appreciate that. So, I restrained. We took video and pictures, but they don't do it justice.

Since then, I often feel like I need to do that. Just find a field and lay down in the grass. And just be. Just let everything blow over me and be in the middle of it, and just be. Not worrying about the pile of papers that keep growing on my desk at work, not worrying about emptying the dishwasher, not trying to make anyone happy. Just be.

When I think about where I want to vacation or where I would go on retreat, my mind goes there. To forget it all. To just be. To the green, wide open, rolling praire.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Yes! I feel this way all of the time.

Beautiful writing!

aola said...

I do it all the time, just lay on the ground and let the wind and sun carress me. I would like to just get naked and lay there but I'm not bold enough for that yet... but when I'm 80 and have Alzheimers you guys may find me naked on the hill laying in the grass.

Jen said...

I'm glad other people either think of doing this or actually do this. I can't so much, being that I live in an apartment complex.

Aola...I'm not sure how rural you are where you're at in OK, but you should totally come visit Sandy...we have fields there where I'm pretty sure no one would see you. Well, maybe. It would be so great to do that! Maybe we should all do that! I laughed so hard when I read your comment!!