Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thoughts about Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving... The time when family gathers around and gives thanks.

Does anyone else think that it seems like Thanksgiving is almost a forgotten holiday? Maybe not forgotten, but more of like a speed bump? I feel like we love summer and celebrate Labor Day as the last "hurrah" for summer. Them we gear up for back to school and Halloween. Then, as soon as Halloween is over, it's the mad dash for Christmas. They start rolling out Christmas decorations and Christmas commercials well before Thanksgiving. People are focused on getting ready for that all important day AFTER Thanksgiving when the literal "Holiday Rush" starts. So, does anyone else feel like we kind of skim over Thanksgiving, or is it just me?

Maybe it's because I'm grown up now and Thanksgiving traditions have changed, so in some ways it doesn't really feel like Thanksgiving used to. We used to wake up to the smell of turkey in the oven. We would watch the beginning of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and then load up the car for the drive that took us over the river and through the woods to Grandma's house. We'd carry in all of the goodies. Grandma would have transformed her sitting room into a wonderful dining room with tables covered in white cloth tablecloths, the good plates, cut glass dishes and bowls of fruit. We would all sit on the stairs and watch the happenings below. The aunts and older sisters busy in the kitchen and carrying out the rolls and cranberry salad. We'd finish watching the Macy's parade. All of the cousins and aunts and uncles would come in until the house was full. Then we'd sit down to eat and carry on. Grapes had been known to go flying through the air. And if you asked for a roll when it was near one of your uncles or older cousins, you better be a good catcher. After the meal was over, the women would clean up and then sit around the room discussing the happenings of the area or what the family would be doing for Christmas. We'd exchange names to see what family member we would buy a Christmas present for. The men would all head out to the barns to practice their shooting. I'd usually always end up out their with them because they were more fun than sitting around talking. Plus, I liked being outside. Grandma's was always magical that time of year. Things were bustling and everyone was there. And, most of the time, there was snow!!!

Now, I'm older and I understand the work that goes into planning and making Thanksgiving. I help make the pies and other things. We don't make the trip to Grandma's house because Grandma isn't here any more. We've made new traditions. Now we stay at my parents house. My two older sisters and their families come to this house. Lately, we haven't even had both of my older sisters here for Thanksgiving. They have obligations to go to their in-laws or on a family trip.

Things have changed and maybe that's why I feel like Thanksgiving isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. But, as I write this, I'm smelling the turkey in the oven and I'm planning on going and getting "dressed up" for guests to come. And, there is snow on the ground. So, maybe things haven't changed all that much. Maybe it's just all in the way you look at Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

aola said...

I never had a Grandma's house to go to, but your memories are beautiful. My older sister was the go-to place for holidays for our family and when she passed away so did all of our family traditions. Now my family barely speak much less spend holidays together so Mark and I and our kids are all we have.

Sandra said...

Beautiful memories! I think traditions evolve as we do. I'm not sure we realize they are traditions until they are gone or at least we don't realize the weight of them. I wonder if your grandma had similar feelings to yours now. She would have been the one doing all the preparations and I'm sure she had Thanksgiving memories of her own. Perhaps all that we do now is for the younger generation so that they will have traditions to look back on. Of course I think that if we really take time to savor the moment we will see the traditions, and I know from experience that it's not the actions that mater as much as the feeling in our heart. We spent Thanksgiving in the hospital once. I made cinnamon rolls and we watched a movie in the waiting room. It could have been ugly and awful, but I was able to savor the moment and got that warm fuzzy feeing. :)